Sometimes you will have a recipe that is simply a ratio, or a set of ratios. For example, to make glaze you might use 1 milk, 8 parts powdered sugar. So how do you figure out how much of each to use if you want to make 6 cups of glaze?
First you set up an equation, like this:
1 part milk + 8 parts powdered sugar = 6 cups glaze
1 part + 8 parts = 9 parts
9 parts = 6 cups
Take those 6 cups and divide them into 9 parts: 6 9 =
So that means that 1 part = cup
If 1 part = cup, then 8 parts = cup, or cups
You would use cup milk and cups powdered sugar to make 6 cups of glaze.
Lemonade can be made using 1 part sugar, 2 parts lemon juice, and 6 parts water. How much of each ingredient would you use to make 36 cups of lemonade?
1 part sugar + 2 parts lemon juice + 6 parts water = 36 cups lemonade
1 part + 2 parts + 6 parts = 36 cups
9 parts = 36 cups
36 9 = 4
1 part = 4 cups
1 part sugar = 4 cups sugar
2 parts lemon juice = 2 4 cups lemon juice = 8 cups lemon juice
6 parts water = 6 4 cups water = 24 cups water
This is the Navigation section at the top of the page.
Tips for Success
Recipe Ratios Assignment
1) To make cinnamon sugar, use 1 part cinnamon to 4 parts sugar. If you want to make cups of cinnamon sugar, how much of each ingredient would you use?
2) To make apple pie spice, use 9 parts cinnamon, 2 parts nutmeg, and 2 parts allspice. If you want to make teaspoons of apple pie spice, how much of each ingredient would you use?
3) To make a basic custard, use 2 parts cream and 1 part egg. If you want to make 9 cups of custard, how much of each ingredient would you use?
4) To make fruit punch, use 3 parts orange juice, 3 parts pineapple juice, 4 parts ginger ale, and 8 parts cranberry juice. If you want to make 27 cups of punch, how much of each ingredient would you use?
5) To make basic cookie dough, use 1 part sugar, 2 parts butter, and 3 parts flour. If you want to make 15 pounds of cookie dough, how much of each ingredient would you use?
6) To make pumpkin pie spice, use 6 parts cinnamon, 2 parts ginger, 2 parts allspice, 1 part cloves, and 1 part nutmeg. If you want to make 9 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice, how much of each ingredient would you use?
7) To make biscuits, use 3 parts flour, 2 parts milk, and 1 part butter. If you want to make 9 pounds of biscuit dough, how much of each ingredient would you use?