Here is an example of a discussion about racial oppression in the criminal justice system.
For this discussion you are invited to reflect and write about the documentary film 13th and its themes. You are also invited to read this interview with Michelle Alexander, the author of “The New Jim Crow”: Michelle Alexander’s Interview. Please answer the following questions in your reflection:
- What was your initial reaction after watching 13th? How did watching this documentary make you feel? Please share your feelings regarding the film itself and its message.
- Have you ever been directly affected by any of the issues presented in the film? If so, how?
- The film establishes the connections to our country’s history of slavery and segregation. The film tells us that systems reinvent themselves. Describe the ways the criminal justice system helped reproduce past power structures into today’s realities. What do you think your role is in ending this cycle? How can you be more vigilant against institutional racism?
What I am looking for:
- Minimum 500 words discussion board essay.
- Well laid out essay with minimal grammar/spelling errors.
- Consideration for Principles of Writing and Writing Guidelines as outlined in the syllabus.
- Reply to, at least, one of your classmates.