is a method of measuring the time based on the full 24 hours of the day rather than two groups of 12 hours indicated by AM and PM. It is also referred to as using a 24-hour clock. Using military time is the standard method used to indicate time for medication administration. The use of military time reduces potential confusion that may be caused by using AM and PM and also avoids potential duplication when giving scheduled medications. For example, instead of stating medication is due at 7 AM and 7 PM, it is documented on the medication administration record (MAR) as due at 0700 and 1900. See Figure 5.5 for an example clock and Table 5.3 for a military time conversion chart.
- Conversion of an AM time to military time simply involves removing the colon and adding a zero to the time. For example, 6:30 AM becomes 0630.
- Conversion of a PM time to military time involves removing the colon and adding 1200 to the time. For example, 7:15 PM becomes 1915.
Table 5.3 Military Time Conversion Chart
|Normal Time||Military Time||Normal Time||Military Time|
|12:00 AM||0000||12:00 PM||1200|
|1:00 AM||0100||1:00 PM||1300|
|2:00 AM||0200||2:00 PM||1400|
|3:00 AM||0300||3:00 PM||1500|
|4:00 AM||0400||4:00 PM||1600|
|5:00 AM||0500||5:00 PM||1700|
|6:00 AM||0600||6:00 PM||1800|
|7:00 AM||0700||7:00 PM||1900|
|8:00 AM||0800||8:00 PM||2000|
|9:00 AM||0900||9:00 PM||2100|
|10:00 AM||1000||10:00 PM||2200|
|11:00 AM||1100||11:00 PM||2300|
Practice Problems: Military Time
Practice converting military time using the following problems. The answers are found in the Answer Key (Math Calculations Chapter section) at the end of the book.
- A patient has a medication scheduled for 1930. What time does this indicate? Include AM or PM.
- As you prepare to administer a PRN dose of pain medication, you notice the previous dose was administered at 0030. What time does this indicate? Include AM or PM.
- You administer medication to a patient at 9 AM. How should this be documented in military time?
- You administer medication to a patent at 10 PM. How should this be documented in military time?
A method of measuring the time based on the full twenty-four hours of the day rather than two groups of twelve hours indicated by AM and PM.