I am using the LinkedIn Learning course: “Skills for inclusive conversations”.
One section that particularly appeals to me is the “six steps to inclusive communication” and they are as follows (not linear).
- Foster self and other understanding. Why do you believe what you believe?
- Assess individual, team, and organizational readiness. Discussions about potentially polarizing conversations.
- Prepare for the conversation. This involves considering who, what, when, where, how and why you’re having the conversation. Much like a journalist would do. This seems difficult and isn’t clear to me right now how this would be employed.
- Your goal at this first meeting should be to create shared meaning and find common ground. What do you agree on? What are your shared perspectives?
- Begin to explore where your perspectives diverge.
- Engage in deeper conversation to interpret and bridge across those differences which is step six of the model.