The purpose of this exercise is to provide you with the opportunity to reflect on theories and practices of social justice pedagogy, and apply critical pedagogy practices to your class. (NOTE: This exercise was a Canvas group discussion in our training sessions and can be adapted for exchanging ideas with colleagues.)
Before you respond to the prompt below, please read some of the reading suggestions in the Reading and Resources for Critical Pedagogy and Inclusive Instruction.
- Reflect on at least two main points from the reading. What stood out to you? What are some questions or concerns that you have? Please be specific. If working with colleagues on this exercise, share a quote from the reading that resonates with you and explain why. You are invited to reflect on your experiences, as they relate to the reading, both as a teacher and as a student.
- How can you apply some of the ideas, theories and practices to your own class? Please describe a class application that is related to the readings.
- In addition to writing your own answer, compose a response to, at least one, answer posted by another faculty member. In your replies to other instructors you can:
- Expand on or clarify a point made in the answer.
- Offer an additional argument to support a position taken in an answer.
- Agree/Disagree with a point or position made in an answer. If you are disagreeing with the views of another post, please be constructive and respectful. You may criticize a position but not the author.